How To Clean Brass Handles In Home Furniture
Brass is one of the common metals used in drawer handles and on doors. It’s looks great if it’s new, but it will begin to tarnish and stained over time. In this article, we will discuss the ways on how to clean brass handles with the use of ordinary household items to renew its appearance. This article aims to provide more helpful information in doing home improvement the more efficient way.
Before we proceed further into the main topic, let’s try to understand the metal that we’re about to clean and what are the factors that makes it look besmirched. Brass is an alloy composed of 2 known metals and these are zinc and copper and at times it may be composed of other metals. Like any other metals, brass will accumulate dirt and thus it will appear tainted. The factors making the brass look dirty ranges from exposure to the atmosphere, where it reacts to the chemicals and the temperature in the air; down to the simple touching of our hands to the metal where the natural oils from our body will also bring about a chemical reaction to the metal that will make it look tarnished.
We all know that there are many metal cleaners being sold on the market today. Buying these products may restore the brass, but it can leave a stain on your wallet. Do you know that vinegar and salt can be used to clean brass? Here’s how to use it:
1. Choose the brass items you want to clean and unscrew it on the furniture/door.
2. Mix equal parts of salt and vinegar on a bowl and soak the brass handles for at least 30 minutes.
3. Once done, remove from the solution and clean the brass handles with the used of brush. Then polish it with a clean cloth and reattach it again to the furniture/door.
Or how about using ketchup as cleaning agent? Does this sound interesting? Here’s how to use it:
1. Unscrew the brass parts
2. Heat one bottle of ketchup on to a sauce pan and place the brass handles. Wait until the ketchup will boil. If the metal will appear shiny reduce the heat.
3. Let it stay until it cools down, remove the brass handles and polish it using a clean cloth. Reattach the handles back into its place.
Cleaning brass handles need to be expensive. With the use of simple kitchen condiments, a once old looking brass handle in the furniture will again appear as good as new. By following these tips mentioned above, you will surely have a more efficient way on how to clean brass handles.